The Yo Puedo Leer program at La Casa de Amistad is now taking registration for pre-school students. For more information please call La Casa de Amistad at 574-233-2120. The program is $20 per week and runs the academic school year. Children do not need to be fluent Spanish speakers to come, but will come out prepared for kindergarten in TWO languages! We start on September 2nd so come in soon!
The Yo Puedo Leer program offers a bilingual curriculum for children in our community who speak Spanish. The uniqueness of this program is shown in the way that tries to help them through the learning of English by strengthening reading and writing in their native language first. In turn, this facilitates their learning capacity for the future. The program covers nine books, which are approved by the Bilingual Department from the South Bend Community School Corporation. They contain activities such as letter recognition and sound development. These skills are developed in class and are evaluated at the end of each book. The facilitator provides a holistic experience in the classroom in which students begin to practice the skills learned as well as learning new sounds in different languages.
El programa de Yo Puedo Leer en La Casa de Amistad esta aceptando solicitudes para niños de pre-escolar. Para mas información llame a La Casa de Amistad al 574-233-2120.
El programa Yo Puedo Leer ofrece un currículo bilingüe para los niños de la comunidad que hablan español. La singularidad de este programa es representada en la forma en que trata de ayudarlos a través del aprendizaje de Ingles mediante el fortalecimiento de la lectura y la escritura en su lengua natal. A la vez, facilita su capacidad de aprendizaje en el futuro. El programa cuenta con la asistencia de nueve libros aprobados por el Departamento Bilingüe del la Corporación Escolar de South Bend. Estos contienen actividades como reconocimiento de letras y el desarrollo de sonido. Estas habilidades se desarrollan en clase y son evaluadas al final de cada libro. El facilitador proporciona una experiencia en el salón de clase en la que los estudiantes comienzan a practicar las habilidades aprendidas, así como el aprendizaje de nuevos sonidos en diferentes idiomas.
If you know of anyone that can fill this great position, please forward them this information.
Assistant Youth Coordinator
Description of Position:
The assistant youth coordinator helps in coordinating all of La Casa de Amistad’s youth educational programs (i.e. Yo Puedo Leer, Crece Conmigo and Adelante).
The person in this position:
1) Reports to the youth coordinator directly and works closely with volunteer and finance coordinator, executive director, and front office staff;
2) Oversees the management of data related to youth programs;
3) Assists with the planning and implementation of curriculum, activities, and programming for Crece Conmigo and Adelante during school year and summer;
4) Assists in the supervision of Yo Puedo Leer program;
5) Manages and works in groups and one-on-one with pre-school, elementary, middle and high school students;
6) Works with and helps manage program volunteers,
7) Assists in the case management of the youth and their families
8) Assists in the grant reporting of youth programs
• Work in conjunction and under the supervision of Youth Coordinator;
• Help create and implement appropriate, age- relevant program curriculum;
• Management and supervision of students and volunteers assigned to programs;
• Work with volunteer coordinator to recruit and maintain sufficient tutors and mentors for programming;
• Run and maintain snacks for Crece Conmigo and Yo Puedo Leer;
• Record keeping of failures, improvements, and student success stories;
• Supervise students and volunteers to maintain clean, organized work areas and help maintain supplies and building in good working condition;
• Helps create reports outcomes for grant purposes;
• Do home visits to families when necessary to check on status of students and home life;
• Maintains, trains and protects students, volunteers and families’ confidentially agreements;
• Must be able to assist in driving and supervision on field trips;
• Position may include additional work hours and other duties as needed.
• Person applying for the position must be bilingual (Spanish/English);
• Person must be able to work with children, youth and their parents (education background and/or experience preferred);
• Classroom management and youth work experience highly preferred,
• Some college credit/experience required;
• Excellent English and Spanish writing, reading and communication skills necessary;
• Must be acquainted with basic computer software (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, spreadsheets, etc);
• Position is a part time position (10-15 hours per week) and pay is based on experience. Target hours are 2PM to 6PM during our youth programs.
Please submit resume via email to Humberto Delgado at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person/mail to: La Casa de Amistad, Att. Humberto Delgado, 746 S. Meade St. South Bend, Indiana 46619. For more information and/or questions please feel free to call La Casa de Amistad at 574-233-2120.