La Casa de Amistad wishes to respond to community concerns about issues regarding immigrants, asylum seekers, and limiting refugee admissions and benefits. You can support this campaign and our work by clicking on the donate button on our website or click HERE.
The National Immigrant Justice Center posted a breakdown of the legal issues happening (LINK). The climate of negative rhetoric and stigmatization promotes fear. We want to share facts so that each of us can act as an advocate for all immigrants in Michiana.
Words Matter: People are not “illegal” and hence “No Human Being Is Illegal”. We present this tag line to change the narrative through words and facts. We are here to support, love, and serve our community. La Casa de Amistad offers hope, education, acculturation and collaboration to our community’s immigrants.
- Immigrants are here seeking a better life for themselves and their families. Their presence enriches our lives and continues the rich tradition of our immigrant nation.
- Many current undocumented individuals entered this country with a visa and had a green card. There are many circumstances that contribute to compromising an immigrant’s status. Unlawful presence is a civil offense. Civil offenses don’t make you a criminal.
- Undocumented immigrants are not eligible for federal and state benefits. Many studies show that even eligible Latino citizens and resident families tend to not use these benefits.
- Immigration is not at a high point. Since the recession in 2008, immigration has slowed; presently, the net migration between US/Mexico is actually negative.
- Undocumented immigrants pay sales taxes, property taxes and purchase items here.
- The Social Security Administration estimates that in 2013 alone, undocumented immigrants and their employers paid $13 billion in payroll taxes for benefits that were not claimed.
Please engage in our campaign to change the conversation with a “No Human Being is Illegal” sticker, button or sign. Please visit our office to get items so you can display your support for the campaign. Together, with knowledge and understanding, we can create positive momentum regarding immigrants.
Join our campaign, sign up to volunteer, contribute to the cost of stickers, buttons, and signs, or send a supportive message on our Facebook page. Let our community know you care. Remember, “No Human Being Is Illegal”.
We have stickers (2.5 inch and 4 inch), yard signs, and buttons (2.25 inch) available to show your support of the campaign. We are thinking about ordering shirts, let us know if you want one.
There are many excellent resources available for information on immigration and immigration reform. Check out a list of some available resources:
United We Dream #HereToStay Network
ACLU (Immigrant Myths Page)
US Chamber of Commerce (2016 Myths PDF)
Indiana Latino Institute
ND Institute for Latino Studies
PBS (Made in LA Page)
This is just a short list of some local, state and national resources. Please share articles and information from those sites to help change the conversation about immigrants. Thank you for your help and support of the rich and beautiful community we serve.